I love fall. The changing weather from hot to cool encourages a slowing down which I enjoy. One of the ways I like to slow down is by making soup. I like to make my own chicken broth as well. I love the way the aroma of the broth fills the house. It feels very comforting. Sundays are the perfect days to slow the pace of life, spend some time making soup, dig into a good book, take a nap, and maybe watch some football. No hustling allowed.
The pace of our lives seems to have gotten faster and faster. Busy is the new norm. It makes me wonder what we are all so busy doing. Are we engaging in meaningful work? Are we taking time to cultivate our relationships? Are we devoting time to building community? Have we created space for ourselves and for daily practices that support us in being the best versions of us we can be?
I encourage you to step back for a minute today and review your week ahead. What do you have planned this week? Look at the reasoning behind your events – do they align with your values? What is the purpose behind what you have planned? Is it to further your education? Cultivate a relationship? Develop or deepen a practice? I believe we often don’t stop to question why we do what we do. We just keep doing it. Reflecting on the purpose behind your actions can illuminate if what you are doing aligns with what you want. Time is our most precious resource. Pausing to consider how we would most like to use it is incredibly valuable.
I’ve made my share of bad choices simply because I didn’t dig a little deeper into why I wanted to do it. Taking a moment to ask the following questions can help.
- Why do I want to do this? (What’s the goal or outcome I want to achieve by doing this?)
- Does this align with my values?
- Will doing this bring me closer to what I desire for my life? How?
- Go one step further and ask: ‘And then what’ and ‘So that’ to get to the root of it.
- What other ways can I meet this need or obtain this desire?
Here’s a simple example of answers to the above questions:
- To make more money. Having more income, pay off my debt.
- Yes, I want to have a solid financial status.
- Yes, living debt-free and earning more money will allow me to save, invest, and give to causes I believe in.
- And then what? I won’t have to worry about money so that I can do whatever I want.
- What other ways can I not worry about money and do whatever I want? I can spend time outdoors, I can spend time with friends or family.
You might want a richer life, and part of that certainly involves money, but exploring other aspects of what a richer life entails can help you start living that life RIGHT NOW regardless of your financial status. Spending time in this state of mind will open you up to even more riches. It’s the trick of feeling how you want to feel now without allowing that feeling to hinge on a specific circumstance or outcome. That’s where the gold is.
I encourage you to take a few moments today to deepen your awareness around your desires to discover what is at the root of these desires. What can you do today to feel the feeling of your desired outcome? Commit to doing activities that align with your values and move you closer to what you want, while feeling you are already there, and you will move mountains.
Sending you the wisdom of reflection, the slow pace of autumn, and a nice bowl of soup.
Want to make changes in your life but not sure where to start? Sign up for a FREE Clarity Call to discuss what you really want and the steps to get you there.