No Superbowl party is complete without hot and spicy chicken wings.
I was never a big football or chicken wing fan until I moved out of the U.S. – odd, I know. For some reason, football and wings became the way I connected with people when I lived in San Jose, Costa Rica. Every Sunday, I went to a local sports bar to connect with other ex-patriots who celebrated their love of the U.S. through football and chicken wings. Wings are not that common in San Jose and are quite expensive, so they felt like a delicacy, which sounds funny to say, but they were definitely a special occasion treat.
Now that I’m back living in the U.S., I decided it was time to make my own version of hot wings – baked, instead of fried, with lots of garlic and jalapeno, along with a homemade blue cheese dressing. These wings do not disappoint – you won’t even notice they aren’t fried – they’re that good.
So now that I’m back in Denver, let’s hope the Broncos do not disappoint and win the Superbowl this time!
- 12 whole wings
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced or minced
- 4 Tablespoons organic, grass-fed butter, melted
- ½ cup Frank’s original hot sauce (check the ingredients)
- Combine salt, pepper, and spices in a small bowl. Rub into wings.
- Set wings in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450’.
- Place wings on a slotted roasting pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip the wings, and then bake for 15 more minutes.
- While the wings are cooking, prepare the wing sauce.
- Combine the hot sauce, melted butter, garlic, jalapeno, a dash of cayenne, black pepper, and chili powder in a bowl.
- Once the wings have cooked, place the wings in a bowl and coat with most of the wing sauce.
- Reserve some sauce.
- Place the wings back on the roasting pan and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes to set the sauce. Remove from the oven.
- Place the wings on a serving dish and coat with the remaining sauce.
- Serve with [url href=”http://gougegoods.com/homemade-blue-cheese-dressing/”]homemade blue cheese dressing[/url].