I love pancakes! Especially with chocolate and berries. One of my nephews shares my affinity for chocolate. As we were having brunch one morning, eating a cinnamon roll with bacon (heavenly, by the way), we decided we needed to make pancakes with bacon. And chocolate. And not just chocolate, Reese’s peanut butter cups.
Our dream came finally came to fruition over Easter weekend. It was worth the wait. The pancakes were amazing. Really amazing. I will definitely be making these pancakes again soon.
And for those of you who don’t like peanut butter (what??!!), my other nephew enjoyed the pancakes with strawberries and chocolate chips. They were just as amazing. (I had to try them to make sure they tasted ok!)
I use Pamela’s baking mix but if you are not adverse to regular flour, you can use that just as well.
Have fun creating your own favorite combination of ingredients the next time you make pancakes!
- ½ cup of unbleached flour or gluten-free baking mix (Pamela’s)
- ½ Tablespoon of your choice of sweetener (honey, coconut sugar, or cane sugar)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ Tablespoon butter
- Optional: chopped berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries), chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans), chocolate chips, Reese’s peanut butter minis, chopped cooked bacon
- Mix the milk and vinegar in a bowl and set aside for a few minutes.
- Melt the butter in the microwave (20 to 30 seconds) and let it cool down.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Set a non-stick pan over low to low-medium heat and let it warm up.
- Add the egg to the milk and vinegar mix and whisk.
- Mix well.
- Add the cooled down butter.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mix and whisk until it has a uniform consistency.
- Scoop the mix onto the pan using a ¼- ½ cup measuring cup so that the mix forms a 4-6 inch circle. (Since the pancake mix has butter, there’s no need for oil in the pan.)
- Add chocolate chips, berries and bacon (or whatever combination you like).
- Flip the pancakes when they are brownish and bubbling.
- Place cooked pancakes in warmed oven (200’ F) on a baking sheet while you prepare the remaining pancakes.
- Serve with warmed maple syrup. (Blackberry jam, Almond Butter, Nutella and extra berries are optional.)