Huge thanks to my lil’ sister for asking for my salsa recipe! Despite making over 40 jars of salsa last year, I never did post my recipe! What the?! Well, now you have it!
Roasted Tomato Salsa
8 medium-sized tomatoes
1 clove garlic, unpeeled
½ yellow onion, unpeeled
1 serrano (or other pepper/chile of your choice)
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne
¼ teaspoon red chlie powder
½ teaspoon salt
Juice of 1 lime
1 small handful cilantro, chopped finely (including stems)
- Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, and chiles on the grill. Grill until the skins are charred. Using tongs, flip the vegetables to ensure all sides blacken. Remove tomatoes from grill and place into a bowl. Place the other vegetables in a small dish.
- Place chiles in a paper bag for 5-10 minutes. Allow tomatoes to cool. Remove skins from onion and garlic.
- Remove chiles from bag and scrap the charred skin away. Remove the stems and, if you want less spice, remove the seeds as well.
- Once tomatoes have cooled, remove the skins and cores. Some of the skins may stick – leave them – it is no problem.
- Place tomatoes, onion, garlic, and chiles in a food processor. Process to desired consistency.
- Add salt, spices, lime juice, and cilantro. Process for another minute or two. Add more salt or lime juice to taste.
- Transfer to bowl. Serve. Enjoy.