Monday was my boyfriend, Os’ birthday. He loves coconut and had mentioned he would like a coconut cake for his birthday. I searched around to find a cake that would be delicious but also healthy. I found a few I liked so I decided to take a few ideas from them all, modify them slightly, and see what happens. This was a bit risky since I had never made it before and it was for a birthday. For some reason, I never worry too much about things I bake not turning out. I figure the ingredients that go into making it are all tasty so even if it doesn’t quite turn out, it will still be ok (meaning, I’ll still eat it!).
I set about preparing the cake, all the while trying to keep the recipe a secret so it could still be somewhat of a surprise.
Several hours later, I revealed the cake. I had garnished it with strawberries and raspberries, as well as candles. It looked beautiful – the brightness of the berries contrasted brilliantly with the smooth dark chocolate glaze.
I cut the first slice, anxiously awaiting for Os to take the first bite. It turned out delicious, thankfully!
I liked it so much that I had a small piece the next morning with coffee as part of my breakfast. It’s that good. It is rich, so a small slice is perfect. The recipe is pretty simple. It does take some time with cooling, freezing, and refrigerating, so plan ahead.
It would make a perfect Mother’s Day cake so might as well get the ingredients so you can make it this weekend!
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 organic, free-range eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted but cool
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Coconut Layer
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- Chocolate Glaze
- ½ cup 60% dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350’ F.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a 8 or 9 inch pie pan with coconut oil.
- Combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, and salt.
- Whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, coconut milk, and vanilla extract in a separate small bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Spread the batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool.
- Mix all ingredients listed for the coconut layer until well combined.
- Spread the coconut mixture over the cooled cake.
- Place the pie in the freezer for 10 minutes while you prepare the chocolate glaze.
- Slowly melt the dark chocolate either in a double boiler or on low heat in the microwave being careful to not let it burn.
- Once the chocolate has fully melted, add the coconut milk and combine until the glaze is smooth.
- Pour the glaze evenly over the cake using the back of a spoon to spread the mixture.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours to allow the glaze to set.
- Slice into 10 slices and serve.
Highly Recommended Products for this recipe:
Healthworks Raw Certified Organic Cacao Powder
Native Forest Organic Classic Coconut Milk, 13.5 Ounce
Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract Certified Organic, 4-Ounce Glass Bottle
Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Coconut Sugar, 16-Ounce
Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels, 9 Ounce
Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour Super Fine Grind Gluten Free Cholesterol Free 3lbs
Nature’s Way EfaGold. Organic Pure Extra Virgin Coconut Oil 32-Ounce Jar New